Mental Illness Facts
- 1 in 5 people struggle with mental illness, only 1 in 3 receive the treatment they need
- Approximately 80% of individuals will be directly affected by a mental illness in family members, friends or colleagues.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and cultures.
- The onset of most mental illnesses occurs during adolescence or young adulthood.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness for children and adolescents.
- Many complex factors cause mental illness including genetic, biological, personality and environmental.
- Mental illness is costly to individuals, families, the healthcare system and the community.
- The economic cost of mental illnesses in Canada is estimated to be in excess of $50 billion.
- 21.4% of the working population currently experience mental health problems and illnesses that affect their productivity
- World Health Organization estimates that by the year 2020 depression will be the second leading global cause of disability and mortality
- Suicide is the 9th leading cause of death
Have a Question?
Warning: Illegal string offset 'form' in /home/mindvine/public_html/focusedonrecovery.ca/wp-content/plugins/techwyse-form/index.php on line 59
© 2018 Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by TechWyse